Friday, July 08, 2005

Robbing the blind

While tropical depression Cindy made for a rainy, nasty day here in the Carolinas, Jon and I braved the elements yesterday to get some errands taken care of. When we got home we found that we had lost a shutter to Cindy, but we'll take that over our neighbors who's tree landed in their living room.
While out and about we stopped at the library so I could pick up some books I'd reserved. I found a loop hole and I'm really excited about it. You see, I live in a small town in a small county with a small library system. If you don't reserve a "hot" book right off the press, you'll be 417th in line. I'd been wanting to read "The Mermaid Chair" and tried to reserve it online, but was told I was #67. Bleh. So I hit the back button and noticed an entry for "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd- Large Print. Clicked on it and found out I was #1! Woohoo! So yesterday I picked up my spoils, Mermaid Chair plus "The White Swan Express" and "The Queen's Fool" and ran back to the car in the rain. I tossed the books to Jon while I was wrestling to close the umbrella.
I got in the car and Jon said to me "Large Print?". I explained my new process. He explained "You do realize you are robbing blind people of their reading material now right?" "Oh, I'm sorry Old Lady Smith, but you can't read The Mermaid Chair right now, some 30 year old girl has it. Go back to your miserable old folks home!"
Damn him, librarian's son. Sucking all the joy out of my new easy on the eyes reading plan!

No comments: