Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Long Talker

When I call a married girlfriend's house and her husband answers the phone, I like the conversation to go a certain way. Example: my Brother in Law is great at answering the phone when I call. We've been friends for 15 years- longer than he's even known my sister, and yet he seems to get it. This is how it goes when I call:
BIL: Hello?
Me: Hey brother Marc!
BIL: Hey sister Shanny!
Me: How are you doing?
BIL: Good, how are you?
Me: Good!
BIL: Hold on I'll get Sara. (or, Sara's not here, or if Sara's tied up he'll take over and fill me in on what's going on.)
See- he knows that as much as I love him, I'm calling for Sara most of the time and he doesn't waste any time getting her on the phone.

Now let me tell you about my friend who we'll call Rochelle, and her husband who we'll call BJ. Rochelle and I have been friends since high school. Her husband I've only known since they started dating. He and I have had maybe 15 personal encounters. I like him very much, but we're not especially close. I haaaate having to call her house. The girl can never get to the phone. BJ is all over it. And this is how it goes:
BJ: Hello?
Me: Hey BJ it's Shannon. How are you?
BJ: Well hey Shannon! I'm good, how are you?
Me: Good!
BJ: So...what's been going on lately? Haven't we been having great weather? When are you coming to visit again?
Me: Well, that's actually why I called. I wanted to check with Rochelle about-
BJ: Did you see that last Tom Cruise movie? Did you hear about that new restaurant? Have you heard the new Coldplay cd?

Aaarrgghh!! It's rapid fire. I can't answer a question before the next one comes along. And you know he doesn't really care if I've read the latest Grisham novel. He's just a social chatterbox. Which is fine, but come on! Just. put. her. on. the. phone. It can take a good 5 minutes before I find out Rochelle isn't even home!
Give me just the facts man, just the facts.

No comments: