Saturday, April 09, 2005

Black Bar

Jon was watching Headbangers Ball on MTV2 when he spotted a pug in one of the videos. I love how they've blacked out his eyes to protect his identity.

I've had to black bar a big part of my life for the last 2 months. But now I can safely tell you what happened. My employer (for whom I've worked for the last 6 years) has terminated my employment because I had one too many surgeries this last year and it put me over the 12 week disability period. Because I'd been there for so long I had earned 6 months paid leave but the government only guarantees your job for 12 weeks. My schedule was compressed into 4 day weeks so I used up those hours rather quickly. 2 of my days would equal almost 3 normal days. I had to wait until I was officially seperated from them to talk about it- even though I won't mention their name. I just didn't want any legal trouble. I never mentioned work in my blog for fear of being dooced as my job had a zero tolerance policy for even mentioning it's name on the internet. Plus, my professional licenses would be at risk if I mentioned it. So many things could be misconstrued and there's a lot of liability there. And I worked too hard to get licensed to lose those. I was really angry when they called me about it. Funny thing is that it is a HUGE company, like over 10,000 employees. So some HR lady who I've never met called me to tell me. It's all policy ma'am. Doesn't matter if you've been there 6 years or 6 months. All the same. Nice, huh.

Anyway, as you can imagine, this puts a huge kink in things. The thing I'll miss most about my job is that they would reimburse you $5000 per child you adopt. How am I gonna find that benefit anywhere else? And then there's the money thing. I've got to find a new job pretty quickly. I'm nervous. I haven't interviewed in 6 years! And I've never been fired. And we want to get our homestudy started as soon as possible. Geez. And now I don't know what to do with myself job wise. Between you and me, internet, I was only marginally interested in my line of work. I loved the benefits and some aspects, but I don't think I want to do that again. So now what do I do? Get a similar job that I won't like but would be a sure thing? Or go for a job I'll actually enjoy, but may take longer to get? Whatever happens I don't want Lingling sitting in that orphanage for any longer than she has to just because Mommy's boss was a wanker.

No comments: