Sunday, May 14, 2006

Breakin the law with Me Maw

We spent the day at my Grandmommy's house. She lives about 2 hours south. Today is also her 70th birthday so my aunt and uncle and their 2 kids came over and we had a big cook out. My cousins are 13 and 17 and they call Gmommy MeMaw. Shudder. I hate that word. The whole scene today was a little bit redneck and a dash of surreal. We drove up and there's Gmommy out in the yard standing over a bonfire with a rake. Her boyfriend who lives in a trailer on her property is standing there hooked up to his oxygen tank. They're both smoking. Yikes.
We reminded her why we were there and got her inside the house. We visited for a while then everyone settled in to watch a bootleg copy of Ice Age 2 that my cousin scored from some guy on the side of the road. It was like watching a movie from the 1930's- all dark around the edges. You could tell it was a bootleg for sure when right in the middle of the screen it said "Low Battery". Heh.
My girl cousin showed off her new tounge ring and her live in boyfriend. They live with his parents. They are both wearing wedding rings, yet they aren't married. Yet. She's 17, he's 21. He was super nice and polite though. You could tell that boy was raised right. Now, if they could just not wear matching Dixie t-shirts with scary dogs on them that say "If my right don't getcha my left will." Whatever that means. After lunch but before cake and ice cream, Jake came in the house holding a pair of pliers and some pine straw. He called it his flower. So cute.
Every so often during our day we'd have to go out in the yard and find Gmommy. She lives on 3 wooded acres and likes to burn stuff so sometimes it would take a while. I asked what she was burning and she said "Everything I can."
When it was time to blow out her candles we said Make a wish! She said "I wish I was in bed!". I swear, if we didn't laugh we'd all be crying!
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: