Friday, November 03, 2006

News from the back 40 *updated

You know what really chaps my ass? First, there's no Christmas anymore. It's just Holiday. "So what are you doing for Holiday?" "Oh, for Holiday I'm having Holiday ham and opening Holiday presents." It's so generic. Like it could be Groundhog or Flag Day but we'll never know cause we're just calling it Holiday. And now? Now? Just the other day I was flipping through the sales flyers that come in the mail and noticed that "Harvest Decor" was on sale at a local giant crafts store. Then at a large discounty departmenty store I came upon the display for "Harvest Dining Supplies". WTF??? Can we not call it freakin Thanksgiving anymore? Who does that offend? Ungrateful people? And they picked Harvest instead? Is the public at large made up of field workers counting down the days til we can bring in this year's crop? I have the utmost respect for farmers, have them in the family. Just didn't realize they were the new target demographic. Jeesh.

*Just so you know, I'm all for different cultures, races, and creeds. That's what makes this country great. My family is made up of many different cultures, races, and creeds. I've been a part of many a Passover dinner, weddings of faiths different than mine. I served for many years as the head of the diversity council at my old job. Heck, I'm adopting from a country where the ethnicity, religion, and culture are completely different from my own. And I respect that to no end. I even make sure my Christmas cards include a set that say Happy Holidays for the people I'm not sure which holiday they celebrate. I also have no problems with "Happy Holidays" as that implies you're wishing happiness for multiple holidays. I think calling Christmas "Holiday" is strange though. I feel that we as a country can, and should, include other religions and cultures without having to tone down others. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a Ramadan display next to a Christmas display. Or Hannukah. It is all so hypocritical when the stores tone down the Christmas language in ads and displays yet blast Christmas carols from Halloween til December 25. I didn't intend for this post to spark a debate about Christmas vs. Holiday. I get that. I just thought Harvest was taking it all too far.

No comments: